Where has US$17 million from the World Bank gone?

US$17 million has been spent – but on what?

  • Have benefits from the extractive industries to the national budget improved?
  • Have benefits to mining affected communities improved?
  • And have the health and safety risks for artisanal miners been mitigated?

world bank mining assistance

World Bank funding project for mining closes

PNG Loop

Representatives of the beneficiary of the US$17 million World Bank Technical Assistance 2 (WBTA2) project to Papua New Guinea’s Mining Sector have met at the Mineral Resources Authority last week.

They gave presentations on their achievements, challenges and recommendations as to whether a similar assistance package should be considered by the World Bank and the PNG Government.

The WBTA2 which started in 2009 is a follow-up of WBTA1 (2000-2006).

This year’s WBTA2 project to Papua New Guinea’s Mining Sector officially closed on Tuesday June 30.

The development objectives of the project are aimed at improving benefits from the extractive industries to the national budget, mining affected communities, and to mitigate mining’s health and safety risks for artisanal miners.

The project was implemented in four components:

  1. Strengthening the policy and regulatory frameworks for mining sector by the Department of Mineral Policy & Geohazards Management (DMPGM);
  2. Strengthening the mining sector governance, regulation, and sustainable development outcomes by the Mineral Resources Authority (MRA);
  3. Improving revenue collection and audits of the sector by the Internal Revenue Commission (IRC); and
  4. Strengthening the foundation for a conflict-free mining sector in Bougainville by the Autonomous Bougainville Government Department of Mineral Energy and Resources (ABG DoMER).

MRA managing director Philip Samar said the government expected to write to the World Bank requesting a similar kind of assistance as WBTA2.

He pledged MRA’s support and willingness to manage WBTA3 if it is approved by the World Bank.

Meanwhile, World Bank country manager for PNG, East Asia and the Pacific Region Stefanie Stallmeister, said the bank was happy to have been associated with the different government agencies and assist Papua New Guineans through the government, given the importance of mining sector to the country’s economic welfare

1 Comment

Filed under Financial returns, Human rights, Papua New Guinea

One response to “Where has US$17 million from the World Bank gone?

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s