Post Courier | March 17,2016
A disappointed Mineral Resources Authority has taken issue over the compliance standards applied by Ok Tedi Mining Limited following last week’s fatal accident.
It has already commenced what will be a thorough investigation into the exact circumstances surrounding the safety measures taken given the prevailing circumstance last Thursday.
The deceased with two others were buried under a massive landslide of which the investigation will primarily focus questioning why the necessary safety precautions were not applied resulting in the trio being where they were not supposed to be.
MRA managing director Philip Samar said it is disappointing that the incident had happened after the mine had just been granted permission to resume operations after a six-month shut down.
He said the accident was one too many for the mining sector.
Mr Samar said OTML must take full responsibility of the tragic accident.
“When we did our inspections a few weeks back and gave OTML the approvals to resume operations, we did so, on the company’s proposed safety management systems, and the management’s commitment to ensure that health and safety of persons employed at the mine is not compromised.
“It is the responsibility of the mine operator to ensure that its daily operations are conducted in accordance with its safety management plans and systems,” Mr Samar said.
Mine inspectors issued a notice to OTML on Monday restricting work in the centre pit area except for some pit safety activities.
Mr Samar said this fatality itself was one too many for the mining sector and appealed to all the mines to conduct their operations in a safe and responsible manner ensuring that the safety and welfare of its workforce is priority.
He extended MRA’S deepest condolences to the family of the victim.