2016 is turning into a disaster for the Chinese at their Ramu nickel mine in Madang. In January, Trade Minister Richard Maru threatened legal action over the death of a worker, then staff went on strike over safety standards and management attitudes. In March the slurry pipe burst open forcing another shutdown. Now, another accident and another tragic death…
Ramu NiCo project shuts down temporarily
Post Courier, 13 April 2016
OPERATIONS at the Ramu nickel mine in Madang have been temporary shut down following the death of one of its staff and hospitalisation of two others.
The incident comes just weeks after the company had marked national mine safety week.
The company in a statement released yesterday, said the incident had occurred at about 7.50am on Monday.
The management said the cause of the accident is yet to be established.
It confirmed that the deceased employee was an expatriate from China.
The company said every effort had been made by its emergency response team which included medical officers to resuscitate the worker but without success.
The management said the two national staff who sustained injuries were airlifted from Basamuk, Raicoast District to Madang and are now recovering at the Modilon General Hospital.
“The incident was unfortunate and we are so sad that we have lost one of our employees.
“We are in the process of informing his family members,” the management said.
The incident has been reported to Mineral Resources Authority and the incident scene has been barricaded for further investigation.
“We have secured the area and ensured no further injury to our employees. We also advise family members and relatives that all employees are all safe,” Ramu NiCo management said.