Deadline looms for Porgera mine owners over violence claims

Landowners gather for a protest at Porgera in October 2015

Landowners gather for a protest at Porgera in October 2015

Radio New Zealand | July 7, 2016

A Papua New Guinea human rights group says it has received no response to its call for compensation for more than 200 cases of violence allegedly committed by a mining company’s security forces.

The Akali Tange Association lodged a claim with the Porgera Gold Mine’s owners last September in relation to 256 victims it said had been shot dead, injured or raped between 1990 and 2015.

The association’s executive officer McDiyan Yapari said they had given the Canadian mining company, Barrick Gold, until Friday to respond to their demands for compensation and remedy.

He said he was worried about what would happen if it did not respond by the deadline.

“I don’t know what is going to happen because the Association has been carrying the frustration, anger from the members and we can not keep on holding on this. The only possibility that we will be looking at is one to sue them in a court, or I think people might retaliate,” McDiyan Yapari said.

Leave a comment

Filed under Human rights, Papua New Guinea

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s