Fiji Ministry clarifies on bauxite mining processes

xinfa bauxite bua

Fiji government tries to claim consent to mining from two chiefs is equivalent to free prior informed consent from ALL the landholders…

Luke Rawalai | The Fiji Times | August 28, 2016

BAUXITE has only been mined at Nawailevu and Naibulu and chiefs from both areas have consented to the project, says Ministry of Land’s deputy secretary Malakai Nalawa.

Mr Nalawa said that hence approval had been given by the two chiefs to the companies.

Responding to outcry from Bua Urban Youth about the need for obtainment of Free Prior and Informed Consent (FPIC) from landowners before any mining processes, Mr Nalawa said that this has been obtained.

Meanwhile, BUY representative Vani Catanasiga says that officials must do more than just seeking the chief’s consent as a signal of the community’s approval.

Ms Catanasiga said they needed to prepare dialogue spaces between landowners and companies so that they can discuss on the pros and cons of mining before any decision is reached.

1 Comment

Filed under Fiji, Human rights

One response to “Fiji Ministry clarifies on bauxite mining processes

  1. Pingback: Fiji Ministry clarifies on bauxite mining processes — Papua New Guinea Mine Watch – Jakeman's 10-20

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s