‘B’ville independence depends on Panguna’

Sebastian Hakalits | Post Courier | March 03, 2017

THE Bougainville Government’s position on Panguna mine had always been clear – to re-open it, says Bougainville Vice-Presient Raymond Masono.

Mr Masono said that the region would have fiscal self-reliance and also the majority of Bougainvilleans would enjoy a better life again when the mine re-opens.

He said there was opposition to the mine re-opening but they were a minority.

“We need Panguna to finance independence for Bougainville,” he added.

Mr Masono said that the mine would bring quick development and it still had a large known reserve yet to be mined.

Last week in Buka, K5 million was paid to four landowner associations. The cheque payment by Bougainville Copper Limited was done at Kuri Village Resort and was witnessed by Mr Masono, ABG Ministers, senior government officers and staff.

“It is not the devil that we used to know, but it’s now the devil that we own,” Mr Masono said in reference to BCL, adding that it would be foolish go out looking for other developers when BCL was available.

More than K14 million will be paid to the Panguna landowner groups when their outstanding claims with BCL are settled.

Six landowner associations that were established before the Bougainville Crisis (1988-1998) and another three were established after the conflict, bringing the total to nine landowner associations.

More than K14 million will be made to the Panguna landowner groups when Bougainville Copper Limited completes outstanding claims are settled.

Advertisements

3 Comments

Filed under Financial returns, Papua New Guinea

3 responses to “‘B’ville independence depends on Panguna’

  1. Bougainville Vice-Presient Raymond Masono says that the Panguna mine “would bring quick development and it still had a large known reserve yet to be mined”.
    According to Rio Tinto who divested its shares in Bougainville Copper Ltd (BCL), the amount necessary to get the Panguna mine up and running again would be ten billion (Aus) dollars.
    The process would not happen overnight or be quick either. So, who is Raymond Masono trying to fool?

    He says that, “also the majority of Bougainvilleans would enjoy a better life again when the mine re-opens”. Let us remind Raymond Masono that the Bougainville landowners around the Panguna mine area were mere spectators whilst their lands were dug up, taken away and sold for millions.
    The people in Bougainville and worldwide have seen the environmental catastophy caused by BCL and Rio Tinto, who by the way, have never compensated or cleaned up the filth they did to the environment or the Bougainville people.

    It seems so obvious that Vice-Presient Raymond Masono is only listening to the mining companies, when the people of Bougainville have the answers.

  2. I knew Masono since the high school days as a small boy and has never changed, and is still the same very curious about things. He has been blind to the top economic hitman under his nose where he has been in the ABG administration and now is the Vice President still blind. He plans with his boss to sell B/ville that cheap to the dogs. On 3 Mar 2017 16:53, “Papua New Guinea Mine Watch” wrote:

    > ramunickel posted: “Sebastian Hakalits | Post Courier | March 03, 2017 THE > Bougainville Government’s position on Panguna mine had always been clear – > to re-open it, says Bougainville Vice-Presient Raymond Masono. Mr Masono > said that the region would have fiscal self-relian” >

  3. Pingback: Looking beyond Panguna – A post-2020 strategy for Bougainville | Papua New Guinea Mine Watch

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s