Post Courier | October 24, 2019
Madang Governor Peter Yama yesterday thanked the Government for taking a bold step in shutting down the Ramu Nico mine indefinitely.
He said it was a sign of victory for the small people of Madang and Papua New Guinea against a Chinese multi-national that was continuously breaking PNG regulations. Mineral Resources Authority yesterday ordered the mine shut down until it meets conditions it has not met under its MOU.
Mr Yama, who has called for the closure of the mine since the slurry spill last month said: “I have engaged Dr Monzon and his scientists from Switzerland and they will return at the end of this month to do further sampling.”
The Monzon tests earlier proved that the slurry spill and deep sea tailing pipeline dumping has affected the sea, marine life and people. Mr Yama said the scientific findings showed the presence of very heavy metals including mercury.
“On behalf of my people, I want tailings dumped on the seabed to be stopped,” he said.
He said the developer MCC should have built a tailings dump on land at Usino Bundi. “You cannot gamble with the lives of my people,” he said.
“You cannot gamble with lives and money.
“You just cannot compromise human life.”
He said he wants to see a tailings dam built, water pumps with purifiers distributed to his people, remedial action taken on all polluted rivers and creeks, proper air and dust control and Basamuk smoke stakes, MCC to allow Madang government engaged scientists to access their materials for samples and DSTP to be permanently closed down.