Tag Archives: Kutubu oil field

Kutubu LO’s See No Improvements Despite Oil Flowing For 26 Years

Kutubu LO’s Want Govt To Honour LNG Deal

Post Courier | May 27, 2019

The people of Kutubu have supported the economy of the country but the living conditions are still the same. The people who have never complaint before are now calling on the Government to help improve their lives.

Spokesman and young Kutubu landowner Asi Ibisubu say since 1989, the start of the Kutubu oil project, successive governments have ignored the plight of the people.

He said the wealth of Kutubu has and will continue to support the economy and improve the welfare of other Papua New Guineans so long as the oil and now the gas for the PNG LNG continues to flow.

Ibisubu says the Government should now consider the people of Kutubu and seal the road from Poroma to Moro and beyond so that the people travel on good seal road.

He said the Government should also consider running power (electricity) from Mendi to Kutubu so the people can use the opportunity to improve their lives.

“While we have oil flowing from Kutubu for 26 years, there is nothing to show for and what we ask is if the two project can be considered for the benefit of the people. We still live in Kunai thatched house and continue to live in our traditional way of life after 26 years. There is nothing to be proud of, unlike landowners in the Middle East who owns private jets. While we don’t aspire to be like them, at least we see improvements in our lives would make wonders. We would also appreciate if the laws are changed so it gives us a better deal to improve the lives of the people,” he said.

Ibusubu is also calling on the government to honour many of its commitment made to the PNG LNG project.

The said they have been quiet for a long time but they feel the road sealing and the electricity rollout projects are important for the people of Kutubu to help improve their lives.

Advertisements

1 Comment

Filed under Financial returns, Papua New Guinea

Australia’s Oil Search resumes operations at Kutubu complex

Christina Martin | Reuters | 3 April. 2018

Australia’s Oil Search Ltd said on Tuesday that operations have resumed at a facility closed in the wake of a major earthquake in Papua New Guinea in February, with oil output under way from a number of wells in the Kutubu field.

Production has resumed at an initial rate of about 4,000 barrels of oil per day, the company said. Oil output from the array of Kutubu complex fields is expected to be restored gradually through April.

The company said its condensate handling facilities at Kutubu, connected to a giant Papua New Guinea liquefied natural gas (LNG) project operated by Exxon Mobil, were also ready to receive LNG condensate once the project resumes gas production.

Oil Search did not give any further information about the resumption of gas production, or the status of LNG operations at Exxon’s Hides gas processing.

Exxon did not immediately respond to a request for comment on Tuesday and has previously said it expected to resume production within two months of the Feb. 26 quake.

Oil Search said it will release revised guidance for production, as well as operating and capital costs in 2018, when it reports its first-quarter results on April 17.

Shares of the oil and gas explorer dropped as much as 1.7 percent to their lowest in more than two weeks against a 0.1 percent decline in the broader market.

Leave a comment

Filed under Financial returns